ED 595D-O Google in the Digital Classroom ONLINE
Laura F. Sandy
This is a course designed to expose teachers to trending technologies that will support and enhance classroom instruction. The course will focus on the learning management system of Google Classroom with connected applications, add-ons and extensions plus a variety of interactive websites and online assessment tools. Through blended digital learning, teachers can improve student engagement and success. This course will be delievered ONLINE.
- Examine purpose and best practices for using a blended (digital) classroom.
- Implement a learning management system.
- Create online assessments and learn how to provide electronic feedback.
- Utilize trending interactive resources.
- Build a professional #blendedlearning network.
Teacher will present, demonstrate and model the various tools, as well as facilitate guided and experiential practice. Group discussion will also be utilized to analyze the tools. Ultimately, students will produce their own products of each of the types of resources. All of this will be conducted ONLINE via videos, discussion forums and digital assignments.
Students will need a computer and access to the Internet. A G-Suite (Google Apps for Education) account is recommended, but a GMAIL account is required.
Module 1: Google Classroom + Review of Google Drive
- Introduction to a blended (digital) classroom. (Resource: www.ditchthattextbook.com )
- Teacher competency/proficiency, SAMR model
- Introduction to learning management systems.
- Google Classroom (Resources: www.classroom.google.com & http://50thingsbook.com/ )
- Main Menu Screen
- create class vs. join class
- Automatically creates folder in Google Drive called Classroom (organizes assignments), Google Calendar
- navigating classes, work
- Teacher View
- creating, setting up and managing a class
- People tab
- adding students (class code vs. invite)
- class permissions
- Stream tab vs Classwork tab
- creating assignments & announcements
- difference between the 2 posts
- due dates, classes, topics
- posting, scheduling, drafts
- uploading files
- adding links
- connecting Google Drive files
- students can view file
- students can edit file
- make a copy for each student
- adding a youtube video
- adding questions
- reusing posts
- move post to top of stream
- adding materials
- inviting teachers
- Student View
- Stream vs Classwork tab
- completing an assignment
- turn in button/mark as done button (teacher owns)
Module 2: Google Forms & Other Assessments + Google Sheets & Grading
- Assessment tools.
- Grading Student Work in Classroom
- adding comments
- returning work
- copying grades to Google Sheets/dowloading grades
- Goobrics & Doctopus (Rubric Grading)
- Google Forms (https://gsuite.google.com/learning-center/products/forms/get-started/#!/
- 3 different views (edit, live, responses)
- edit mode (creating)
- titling the form
- menu across the top
- Choice Eliminator 2
- Form Notifications
- Form Publisher
- g(Math) for Forms
- menu across the side/bottom
- add question
- first questions for data organization
- questions types
- add text
- add image
- add video
- add section
- response mode (data/grading)
- quiz mode in form
- adding grades to Google Classroom
- Other trending tools
Module 3: Google connected interactive sites + Interactive Templates
- Interactive templates in Google Slides & Google Drawings
- Interactive websites
- Study assistance
- Interactive/Live Presentations
- Resource warehousing/Learning Paths
- Other trending websites
Module 4: Google Chrome + Professional Continuing Ed
- Building a professional network to support the blended classroom
- Saving sources to Google Chrome
- Google Classroom
- Google Keep
- Tab glue
- Tab scissors
- Alice Keeler Open Side by Side
- Easy Accents
- Turn off the lights
- Mobile Devices & Apps/Chromebooks
- Google Certified Educator
- Creating your own Google Classroom (30%)
- Students will create their own Google Classroom to use with their students incorporating the features listed in the syllabus.
- Assessment Online (30%)
- Students will create assessments and grade them using various methods of delivery:
- Grading in Google Classroom
- Grading using Google Forms
- Grading using other tools
- Interactive Websites (20%)
- Students will create interactive assignments to use in their classrooms.
- Professional Network (10%)
- Students will research an online professional site/person to add to their professional network and share in a presentation.
- Discussion Forums (10%)
- Students will participate in discussion forums as class participation (attendance).