ED594W: IEPs, WEPs & 504s, Oh My!
Sonequa H Reeves & Jennie Peoples
Knowledge and practical strategies of how to write and implement an IEP (Individual Education Plan), WEP (Written Education Plan), and 504 Plan (mental or physical disability) in the K-12 environment. Explore the reasons, needs and expectation of needing an IEP,WEP or 504 plan, who is involved in planning- implementation and how long they last.
● Gain Understanding of IEP.
○ Meet the child’s academic development and functional needs that result from the disability
● Gain Understanding of WEP
○ WEP outlines the goals of service for students who are gifted may include both academics and affective goals
● Gain Understanding of 504 Plan
○ A plan to ensure that a student who has a disability identified under the law is attending an elementary or secondary educational institution receives accommodations that will ensure their academic success
Readings, videos, presentations, analysis and evaluations, reflections and journaling
● The IEP from A to Z: How to Create Meaningful & Measurable Goals and Objectives 2nd Edition D.Twachtman-Cullen & J. Twachtman-Bassett
● Learning Outside the Lines (Dec 2018) J. Mooney & D. Cole
Module 1: IEPs
● Introduction to IEPs
● List of tests used to write IEPs
● List of goals used in an IEP
● IEP Samples
● Participants write an IEP based on scenario
Module 2: WEPs
● Introduction to WEPs
● List of tests used to write WEPs
● List of goals used to write WEPs
● WEPs samples
● Participants write an WEP based on scenario
Module 3: 504s
● Introduction to 504s
● List of tests/assessments used to write a 504
● List of goals used to write a 504
● Participants write a 504 plan based on a scenario
Module 4: Independent Study
● Same Goal ( website)
● ODE standards related:
1. (3) Video Reflections : 30%
Participants will reflect on three videos related to IEPs, WEPs, and 504s.
2. (1) IEP, WEP, 504: 10%
Participants will write one of the following: IEP,WEP, or 504.
3. (3) Summary of Assessments used to write IEP, WEP & 504: 30% Participants will research in depth various assessments used to write an IEP, WEP & 504 and write a summary of their findings for each.
4. Instructional Strategy: 20% Participants will choose an instructional strategy that they can or have used with an IEP,WEP, or 504 student or one they would like to use.
5. Video Reflection 10% : Reflect on the process of grading a student with an IEP, WEP or 504 plan.
** This syllabus serves as a summary of the class. More detailed assignments & description upon registration into the class.