ED595K Managing Behavior with SEL Strategies in the K-12 Environment
Sonequa Reeves, M.Ed
Course Description: This course aims to help teachers and students understand and manage their emotions, make responsible decisions, build and maintain relationships, and understand and empathize with others.
● Demonstrate self-awareness of one's own emotions
● Demonstrate skills to manage and express emotions, thoughts and impulses and stress in effective ways.
● Demonstrate awareness of and empathy for individuals , their emotions, experiences and perspectives through a cross cultural lens.
● Demonstrate listening actively, communicating effectively and self advocating
● Book: How to Apologize By: David LaRochelle
● Book: Classroom Management Matters: The Social-Emotional Learning Approach Children Deserve By: Gianna Cassetta
● Book: Classroom Management for Students with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders: A Step-by-Step Guide for Educators
● Gmail Account (personal) REQUIRED
● Computer & access to the internet
● Social Emotional Check In One
● Introduction: In a Google Doc (provided) introduce yourself by describing your professional situation , reasons for being interested in this course and what you expect to take away from this course.
● Introduction: The Impact of Classroom Management on Social Emotional Learning (Handout)
● Tips for Improving the Social Emotional Well Being of Students ( Hand out)
● Classroom strategies to Promote Positive Behavior while Social Emotional Learning (Handout)
● Social Emotional Check In Two
● Video: ( one page minimum summary of video key takeaways)
● Video ( one page minimum response to this video) do you agree /disagree and why?
● Video (one page minimum summary of useful management strategies you can use in our K-12 educational setting)
● Social Emotional Check In Three
● Video ( one page minium summary of the video)
● Video ( one page minimum summary of which of the 5 games you would use in your educational setting)
● Video No Assignment
● Social Emotional Check In Four
● Read Introduction & Chapter One of: Classroom Management Matters: The Social Emotional Learning Approach Children Deserve ( one page minimum summary of key takeaways; use questions at the end of the chapter to assist with your summary).
● Read: How to Apologize by David LaRochelle : critique the book
● Social Emotional Check In Five
● Course Evaluation
10%: Social Emotional Check In: Attendance
45%: Videos & Reflections ( 7 videos)
45%: Book Chapters